Experimental POAMA-2 Forecasts in Google EarthTM
Experimental POAMA-2 forecasts for the tropical oceans (45S-45N) can now be viewed in Google EarthTM.
Available real-time products (for 1st of each
month only) include:
- Sea surface temperature anomalies (SSTA) for leads 0-5 months
- Probability of SSTA >= 0.6 oC
- Degree Heating Months (DHM)
- Probability of DHM >= 2.0
- SSTA skill for leads 0-5 months
These forecasts are currently available online so to view
you require an internet connection to access the forecast images.
Select the latest file or a date in the archive, click 'Launch KMZ' to launch
Google EarthTM and view files.
The latest file is a network file. This means you can just download it
once and it will be updated automatically
each time you refresh it in Google EarthTM.
To view these products, you must first have downloaded and installed
Google EarthTM on your computer.
Google EarthTM is free and available from
http://earth.google.com/. Once it is installed and you have launched
one of the KMZ files above, proceed as per below.
- In the 'Places' panel on the left side of the Google
find the POAMA forecast product folder under 'Temporary Places.'
- To check for latest or updated forecasts, right click on the
network link (folder) icon and select Refresh.
- Click on the box(es) next to the desired subfolder and data layer
to display them in the earth viewing window.
- To loop through lead-times for the SSTA, SSTA>0.6 and skill products,
click on the clock on the time slider at the top of the earth viewing window.
For information about using the time slider, see here.
- Details on each product can be found by clicking on the link
'About These Products' below the product folders.
- If the full Google EarthTM display can
not be seen (including logos),
please modify your screen resolution (minimum 1280x1024). More information on system requirements available here.
Offline versions of both these forecasts and the hindcasts are under construction. You will be download complete packages containing
program files and images to view in Google EarthTM
without an internet connection.
For old POAMA-1.5 GBR forecasts in Google Earth TM,
For assistance with Google EarthTM,
please see support.
Images: © 2010 Google © 2010 Europa Technologies,
US Dept of State Geographer © 2010 Tele Atlas